Bilingual Survey Results
Over the course of three months, Recruitment Partners LLC(RP) garnered feedback from English and Spanish speaking individuals with dementia and their family caregivers to better understand how COVID-19 is affecting their attitudes toward research participation. This was an anonymous, online survey disseminated across the country within the Recruitment Partners Care Community Network and social media outlets. There was a total of 100respondents, of whom 68 were English speakers and 32 were Spanish speakers. The primary data trends provided were identified among six main categories: participant profile, technology access & comfort level, attitudes towards research innovations, research participation at a clinic, education, and attitudes toward COVID-19 vaccines.
2020 Bilingual Survey Result Highlights
1) Participant Profile
· Roughly 50% of respondents were between the ages of 45-64 years old.
· Many respondents identified as women (74%English-speaking; 84% Spanish-speaking)
2) Technology: Access and Comfort Level
· A notable number of Spanish-speaking respondents reported that they do not have access to an internet-enabled device with videoconferencing capability, compared to higher number of English-speaking respondents.
· Overall, respondents reported Zoom as the videoconferencing application that is the most comfortable to use.
3) Attitudes on Research Innovations
· Respondents were comfortable across the board with innovations that brought research into the home, such as:
– Visits from a research nurse
– Self-administration of medication
– Self-reporting of blood pressure
– Self-reporting of weight
· Respondents were least comfortable with:
– Telehealth visits
· There is a consensus from respondents, who participate in a study, to have a researcher share the results once the study has ended.
4) Research Participation at a Clinic
· English-speaking respondents reported a greater likelihood in participating in a study that required them or their loved one to visit a clinic for a single evaluation rather than multiple evaluations.
· Over 40% of respondents reported that if education was available in the form of computer-based classes, they would take the classes.
6) Attitudes Towards Vaccines
· Over 80% of respondents were inoculated with the pneumonia or influenza vaccine.
· Roughly half of respondents reported that they would take the COVID-19 vaccine if it were available.
If you would like to learn more about these data trends or RP services, contact Anakaren Lamas at firstname.lastname@example.org.